What anti-bullying tactics do we teach at Tiger-Rock Martial Arts?
Awareness, communication, and self-defense are the three most important anti-bullying tactics we teach. Children need to be aware of bullying situations. Your child needs to communicate what’s going on. And finally, your child must know when to stand their ground and defend themselves.
Awareness is the best form of bullying prevention. With awareness, we teach the prevalence of bullying as well as what to do when being bullied. Some of the tips we provide include:
- Encouraging students to avoid being alone in areas that they could be a target for bullying, thereby decreasing risk.
- Recommending students walk in groups with their friends.
- Resist escalating the situation. Walk away, ignore, and do not try to exact revenge.
- Do not keep the bullying a secret. This only makes things worse. Students are encouraged to tell an adult, friends, or other family members about the bullying.
Tiger Rock Martial Arts of Oak Hill strives to promote good citizenship and leadership. Students are taught what to do when they see others being bullied:
- We tell students not to be a bystander. Speak up! Bullies will continue to go after others if no one does.
- Students should not join in on the bullying.
- Students should report bullying to administrators or other adults immediately.
When it comes to bullying, your child cannot be silent. We encourage students to come forward to their families and friends about being a victim of bullying. Whether it is a classmate, a neighborhood child, or bullies on the Internet—parents must know.
Plus, communication is an effective anti-bullying tactic. In our lessons, students learn various stances and how to use tone and diction to project confidence and stand their ground. Bullies assault a child’s self-confidence; we teach methods that will help build that confidence back up.
Unfortunately, bullies will attempt to escalate the situation and potentially threaten to harm your child physically. Because of this, your child will need to know how to react. Therefore, we teach real-world self-defense on our martial arts classes for kids. Even though we do not promote violence, we still believe that your child must know how to defend themselves.
Students practice and hone self-defense skills on the mat. As a result, your child will be able to apply those skills instinctively if they come face-to-face with a bully that aims to hurt them physically. The biggest benefit of all, however, is that these self-defense skills adds another layer of protection for your child. These skills help build self-confidence, self-esteem, and improves their self-concept.
Tiger Rock Martial Arts of Oak Hill teaches valuable bullying prevention tips anti-bullying techniques. We encourage you to enroll your child in our kids’ martial arts program.
Learn more about anti-bullying and bullying prevention methods at
Click here to inquire about our anti-bullying program today.