Searching for martial arts near me 77406? Look no further; Tiger-Rock Martial arts has been doing its thing on the mat for over 30 years now. We know all about the importance of incorporating martial arts in life. Therefore, we have grown quite a bit nationally and offer programs for kids, teens, and adult students. Take control of your life and join us on the mat for an experience of a lifetime.
Tiger-Rock Martial Arts Legacy
During the early 70s, the founders, Art Monroe, Craig Kollars, and Bert Kollars, made the decision to pursue their passion for martial arts and make it a business. At this time, the martial arts market in the west was uncommon, and there was a lot of room for success entering this rare industry. As a result, each founder established its own school.
In 1983 the International Taekwondo Alliance was established to provide curriculum and operation. Therefore, this support would help move the industry forward. This name later changed to Tiger-Rock Martial Arts International that we are familiar with today. Collaboratively, they developed a unique system that had a balanced approach to eastern and western training and principles.
During the same year, Senior Master Marv Conway established the first Tiger-Rock Martial Arts school. This location was founded in Beaumont. As a result, today, the academy continues to grow, and we continue to serve students in almost any state you can think of.
Types of Martial Arts
Tai Chi: is an internal Chinese martial art that is practiced for both defense training and its health benefits. This ancient art form involves a series of movements in a slow, graceful, focused manner joined with breathing.
Muay Thai: this martial art is derived from Thailand, which uses stand-up striking and clinching techniques. Therefore, the practice also involves punches, kicks, elbow strikes, and knee strikes, using eight points of contact. Additionally, this gives the practitioner more to work with instead of just using four contact points, which is solely the hands and feet.
Judo: can be considered as a modern Japanese martial art (created in 1882). The primary goal of judo is to either throw or takedown the opponent to the ground and refrain them from moving. This is usually accomplished by joint locks, strangleholds, choking, and more.
Taekwondo: this is the Korean art of self-defense, and is considered one of the oldest forms of martial arts. Training includes learning a system of blocks, kicks, punches, and open-handed strikes. Additionally, there are multiple other forms used, such as takedowns, throws, and joint locks. All of these exercises can enhance one’s strength, speed, balance, flexibility, and endurance.
The Technical Meaning of Tae Kwon Do
Amongst practicing other forms of martial arts, Taekwondo is the main form taught at our schools. In reality, this ancient art form has many benefits and can advance your physical health abundantly.
The term Taekwondo is broken down into three parts.
- Tae means “foot” or “to kick or to jump”
- Kwon represents the “fist” or “to strike or block with the hand”
- Do means “the way of” or “art”
In general terms, this word translates to “the way of foot and hand.” Additionally, the original Five Codes of Human Conduct correlate with what can be considered the Eleven Commandments of modern Taekwondo; these include:
Loyalty to your country
- Respect for your parents or any authority
- Faithfulness to your spouse
- Loyalty to friends
- Respect for your brothers and sisters
- Respect for your elders
- Never taking life unjustly
- Respect teachers
- Indomitable Spirit
- Loyalty to your school
- Finish what you start
Benefits of Taekwondo Beyond the Mat
Strengthens the Body. Punching, kicking, blocking, etc. all lead to a higher level of physical fitness. Additionally, it enhances your balance, coordination, and flexibility.
Stress Reliever. People of all ages experience stress. Therefore, practices such as Taekwondo can help get out those frustrations from a long day or week. Being able to connect with others going through this same journey can empower you to let go of stress and anger.
Enhances Mental Health. This art form requires mental strength. Therefore, students must focus on acquiring traits like discipline while learning the forms, reaction time, processing, and hand-eye coordination.
Socialization Skills. Sparring and other elements of this martial art require the student to interact with their peers as well as the adult instructors.
Indomitable Spirit. Taekwondo students are encouraged to maintain a positive perspective on life. They are also used to keep trying and to have faith in themselves. Learning that every challenge is an opportunity to grow and acquire new knowledge is crucial in Taekwondo.
Things to Know About Martial Arts
- Practicing martial arts can improve the lives of those who suffer from ADHD. You can learn to channel those distractions and anxieties into martial arts training.
- The term “karate” is a combination of two words: “kara” symbolizes empty while “Te” represents the hand. Therefore, the full meaning is self-defense fighting with no weapons.
- Many people consider the famous Bruce Lee to be the most influential martial artist in history. He is responsible for introducing Chinese martial arts on the big screen.
- There are more levels in martial arts training other than just a white belt and black belt. In reality, there can be up to nine colors in belts, usually ranging from white, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, brown, red, to black.
- Many of the martial arts practiced today originated either from China, Japan, and/or Korea.
Martial Arts near me 77406
Tiger-Rock Martial Arts wants to see every student grow gracefully in martial arts. The ancient Hwarang-do schools referred to the traditional term of Taekwondo as the “flourishing of manhood.” Learn the significance of principles that may be overlooked daily, such as discipline and loyalty.
Come jump on the mat and experience life-changing results. Give us a call at (281) 202-3713 if you are
searching for martial arts near me 77406.
Fun Facts about Richmond, Texas
- The city initially consisted of a single log hut.
- Richmond was established in 1837.
- Richmond was once part of the “cattle empire.”
- To learn more about Richmond, click here.